Travel Baby's Popular Posts

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Going solo on a cruise




Going solo on a cruise

Q: I want to go on a cruise because I like the idea of seeing several places but unpacking only once. I am hesitating, though, because I...

Going solo on a cruise
Q: I want to go on a cruise because I like the idea of seeing several places but unpacking only once. I am hesitating, though, because I will be traveling alone. Will I feel like the odd one out?
A: If you choose wisely, you should fit right in. Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor of CruiseCritic.com, says cruise lines now are courting a younger, hipper single traveler. Norwegian Cruise Line's ship Epic is the first to offer not just single cabins but also a bar and lounge just for single passengers. (For a story on going single on the ship, go to www.seattletimes.com and search for Norwegian Epic).
To enjoy a solo cruise, Brown suggests:
• Look for ships with well under 2,000 passengers. "They're more conducive to meeting others than are big ships," said Brown.
• Look for a ship that offers set-seating options — assigning passengers to a table for dinner. That way you have built-in company.
• Go with a cruise line that is geared to singles. Beyond the Epic's single cabins, you'll find "gentleman hosts" on lines such as Crystal, Holland America and Cunard who are on hand to dance with single women.
• Consider a theme cruise that gives an interest with others on board
.

No comments:

Post a Comment